Network discovery is the process of identifying devices attached to a network. It establishes the current state and health of your IT infrastructure. It’s essential… without visibility into your entire environment you can’t successfully accomplish even the basics of asset management or network management. Network discovery should not be a snapshot in time, but a continuous ongoing process in real-time. Every IT management process depends on the reliability of the network discovery procedure.
What’s Really on Your Network?
Network discovery finds all the resources on your network and provides detailed physical connectivity, device type and asset/inventory and configuration information. It harvests information by both scanning the network for online machines and devices as well as harvesting information from the network directory (Active Directory).
Discovery enables all these important functions:
- Automatic device type identification
- Consolidated registration of all IT assets in an Asset Register
- Easy drill down to details on network devices
- IT services deployed automatically (or selectively) to discovered domain or non-domain systems
- Asset management of devices running all operating systems (Windows, Linux, or Mac)
Discovered Assets on Your IT Network
Once discovered, you can:
- Navigate, organize and manage the assets
- Print reports of discovered devices including their category labels
- Add additional tags that allow you to assign IT services
- Deploy additional management software further enabling the monitoring and management of network devices
For audit/inventory purposes as part of the network discovery process, Ascend NovaCare automatically collects comprehensive inventory/configuration information across networking devices. You can capture device information such as serial number, configuration information including VLANs and interfaces and systems inventory information including current OS version and patches.
Whether you need information to support internal requirements or external regulatory requirements, Ascend NovaCare makes it easy to discover, inventory, map and report on all of your network components.
David Roberts has spent the past decade + primarily in the telecommunications industry within the SMB market. From an early start in corporate America at the John Harland Co. to the founding of Terra Nova, his expertise in building an organization from the ground up has proven to be the catalyst for the future. Currently, as the Founder of Terra Nova, Founder of Ascend Technologies, Founder of e2 Consulting, Board Member at 317 Ministries, and Founder of e2 Properties, David stays busy both in the local Atlanta market and abroad at events throughout the country specifically relating to the telecommunications industry.